We Install Radon Removal Systems In Shrewsbury & Throughout Massachusetts
Although radon has existed since the world was formed, it was first discovered in 1900 by German chemist Friedrich Ernst Dorn. That year, he described a radioactive gas that was an emission from radium. It was initially referred to as "emanation" before being called, "radium emanation," four years later. It finally received the name of "radon" in 1923, seven years after Dorn's death. According to Dr. Caballero Ne, scientists expect radon to continue to exist for the rest of the world's existence. The good news is that any Shrewsbury Massachusetts home can be protected from radon thanks to recent advancements in radon mitigation technology such as the radon systems installed by SWAT Environmental.
Although the discovery of the radon element occurred over 100 years ago, radon was discovered as indoor health threat in 1984 when an employee at a nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania triggered the radiation detectors in the plant on his way into work. Since he hadn't been exposed to any radiation within the plant that day, officials decided to test his home for radiation to see if that was where he was exposed. The Environmental Protection Agency performed extensive tests on the home and determined that there were alarming levels of radiation eminating from the ground. Further probing of the dwelling identified radon gas as the culprit. This discovery made national news and launched a nationwide awareness initiative. The World Health Organization and National Cancer Institute have classified radon as being carcinogenic, and lung cancer is the most common effect of long-term exposure to it. In fact, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer behind cigarette smoking. Approximately 20,000 people die every year from it, some right here in the Shrewsbury 01545 area. Radon may also be linked to other types of cancer like leukemia, brain cancer, breast cancer, lymphoma, and myeloma. The effects of radon have been felt by animals such as dogs and cats just as much as by humans.
Although radon is clearly a problem in Shrewsbury Massachusetts, it is also a worldwide issue and some countries have been affected by it more than others. Recent data has shown that the ones with the highest average radon levels are Albania, Armenia, Czech Republic, Finland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Montenegro and Sweden while the ones with the lowest rates include Australia, Chile, Cuba, Egypt, Iceland, Japan, Malaysia, Netherlands, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Thailand and United Kingdom. However, it is important to note that information is not available for every country; some of the largest ones in this latter group include Bangladesh, Nigeria and Vietnam. Dr. Caballero Ne warns that radon gas is one of the leading causes of death througout the world.